14 Why is God Allowing This?

Why is God allowing this? Why hasn’t He delivered us from this yet? I’ve prayed and prayed. Whenever these questions fill my mind, I am comforted by the following truths:
Photo courtesy of Stock.xchng

God Ways are Higher Than My Ways

At times I think I know what’s best. If only God would do this and that everything would be perfect. But the truth is I don’t see things as God does. (1 Cor. 13:12) As I look at the circumstances before me, I see only one piece of the puzzle, while God see’s the whole. Just as I know what is best for my three year old, I know God know what is best for me. and just as my thoughts and ways are so much higher than my little girl, God's thoughts and ways are so much higher than mine.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD.
9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9

 I love this about God because it means He can work things to good in ways I could never dream of, and can make a way when none even exists!

God Does Not Withhold Good


While trials are not good in an of themselves, God is able to bring out incredible blessings from them, we never would have experienced had not God allowed us to go through the trial in the first place. Psalm 84:11, a verse I go to whenever I fail to see the good in a trial, promises:

For the LORD God is a sun and shield;
   the LORD bestows favor and honor;
no good thing does he withhold
   from those whose walk is blameless.

No good thing does God withhold from those whose walk is blameless. The second we trusted in Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior He made us blameless. (Psalm 103:12) Every sin past, present and future has been paid and full by Jesus. So in God’s eyes, we are blameless. (Romans 8:1) Therefore, God will never withhold good from us. Some trials may lead us to believe differently, but as our Heavenly Father who loves to give good gifts to His children (Matthew 7:11; James 1:17), God will not withhold any good from us. If it’s good, God will give it to us. If it’s not, He won’t. Again, God’s thoughts and ways are higher than ours. He knows the outcome of something before it comes to pass. Though we may see being delivered from some trial as a good thing, only God knows when delivering us from a trial will be for our best good. God will not remove a trial until He has exhausted every bit of good out of it. When nothing else good can come out of it, only then would God remove it. To remove a trial before that point, when the greater good has not fully been exhausted would be to withhold good from us, and that is contrary to who God is. As someone once said, “God is good all the time, and all the time God is good.”

God Is Working All Things To Good


Just as the Lord hems us in behind and before (Psalm 139:5) the Lord goes behind us and before us by first not withholding any good from us (Psalm 84:11) and then working all things in our life to good. (Romans 8:28)  God is actively working every single circumstance to good in our life. We can be confident that He who started the work will be faithful to complete it in us. (Philippians 1:6) For me, this is why writing down the good things the Lord has done in my life, and is doing in my life is so important. When I am going through something that looks like not good whatsoever could come out of it, God miraculously brings out good. However, when I’m in the storm, it’s easy for me to be like Peter distracted by the wind and the waves surrounding me. (Matthew 14:29-31) This is when re-reading the ways the Lord has worked my circumstances to good comes in handy. If you don’t already keep a journal of the good things the Lord is doing in your life I highly recommend it. Not only will you have a blessed reminder when trials leave you feeling discouraged, your journal will be a beautiful legacy of goodness of God in your life.

God Will Deliver Me

One of my least favorite promises of Jesus is “In this world you will have trouble.” (John 16:33) However, I breathe a sigh of relief and rejoice that God also promises deliverance. And deliverance from what? Deliverance from my sins for sure. And I thank God for that. However, God’s delivering work in our life does not stop there. His deliverance covers us both now and for eternity. One of my favorite passages is Psalm 34:17-19. These three verses are packed with blessings and the promise of God’s deliverance for whatever we might face.

The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles. The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all.
Not one trial you face, not one problem will you have to endure forever. (Psalm 54:7) Every single trial you face comes with definite end date. God will deliver you from each and every problem you face. You can bank on it.

For these reasons, I can count it all joy when I face trials of various kinds. My suffering isn’t wasted. God is working all of it to my good, and He doesn’t waste one bit of it. Considering all that God is doing in the midst of the trials, and all He promises to do, I may not know the answer to why is God allowing this? But I do know what He doing about it, and that brings me great comfort and joy!

I want to leave you with this song How Can I Keep From Singing by Chris Tomlin. No matter how discouraged I may feel at the time, this song always picks me up, drives away my discouragement, and gets me singing! Enjoy!


Question for you: Which of the verses above minister to you most in your life?




YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Comfort in the Trials of Life

Waiting on the Lord

None of These Things Move Me

Help in Times of Trouble

If you haven’t yet, drop by my Facebook page and click “Like.” 

 

Copyright © 2012 Brooke Espinoza.

14 comments:

  1. Love this post because it's just so timely for me right now. I think that counting our blessings--as you suggest--is a great way to remember that God is good no matter what!  Great scriptures, too.  I especially like and appreciate Psalm 84:11; that's one I haven't seen in a while.  Thanks for your post! I found you on WLW's link-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalm 139 is my life chapter right now. Such a good reminder. God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so neat Sharon! Psalm 139 is so rich! God is good, indeed! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Romans 8:28 but I like to continue on to the next verses which tells us the "good" is His conforming us to image of Christ. Is there not a trial in our life that did not in some way make us more like Christ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keri, I'm so glad this was so timely for you. God is so faithful to meet our needs. Yes, Psalm 84:11 is one of those gems in Scripture I rarely hear referenced in regards to trials. I'm glad it ministers to your heart, too. Knowing God does not withhold good from us is such a huge comfort to me when my circumstances would appear otherwise. Thanks for your comments! That was my first link-up at WLW. I've enjoying visiting other Christian blogs that linked up that I otherwise may have never discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, great insights! Yes, every trial is an opportunity to make us more like Christ. Certainly God uses every trial, in the lives of those who trust Him, to conform us to the image of Christ,  And that is absolutely good. Likewise, how we respond to our trials determines whether we will be bitter or better from a trial. If we are trusting in the Lord, we will be better (more like Christ). If we are doubting God's goodness, faithfulness, and promises we will most likely end up bitter. I look forward to when we all are in heaven and can see that good work he started in us, finally at its completion. (Philippians 1:6)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am richly blessed by your devotionals. Thank you for sharing your heart. It is touching mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly for your encouraging words! I'm so glad to hear God is using these to bless you! He is so faithful!

      Delete
  8. we are neighbors at Ann’s...wonderfully rich post...I was just at the beach and the Lord spoke to my heart as I looked out over the ocean...His love is like the ocean...deeper and wider than we can imagine...and His love is like the waves...always there...never a pause...and sometimes they are gentle...lapping up upon the shore...and sometimes they seem angry and violent...but all come from His love...all is His love washing over us...blessings to you~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ells, thank you for your encouraging words! I love your beach analogy of God's great love for us. The violent waves you mentioned reminded me of some of the lyrics from the song "How He Loves" by David Crowder--the part where he sings "He is jealous for me, Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy." Oh, how He loves us! :) Here's the song on YouTube in case you've never heard it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzfPHnoT0-0

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing these great thoughts! Such truth in these things, these promises God has given us. I needed to hear these today. Thank you for posting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, that is such an awesome praise report that God used these verses to minister to your need today, giving you just what you needed to hear. He is so good! Thanks for sharing. God bless you richly!

      Delete
  10. Oh Brooke...Another wonderfully expressed post.
    It really ministers to me and obviously others as well
    I really need to start journalling, definitely one of the things that elude me... Any hints?
    Blameless!!!!! Such hope and hoy available to us, when we remember and focus
    Thanks again
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan for your sweet words of encouragement! To start keeping a Faithfulness Journal I keep it simple. I'll start with "Praise the Lord! I was...but He..." or "God is so good! For no other reason than His grace and mercy, He blessed me by..." "Or God is so faithful! Just when things couldn't have been worse, God miraculously turned it around! He..." I write mine as if I were sitting with my best friend over coffee, and I am sharing the neat things God has done.

      The more you write, the more you'll have to be encouraged by when tough times come. If you do it daily, God will always give you something to write about. For the times when God shows Himself faithful in powerful ways, you might want to put a star or something to highlight that entry so if you are going through a difficult time, you have those favorite examples of God's faithfulness: to provide and deliver, already marked in your journal.

      Also I like writing the verse that was proved by God's example of faithfulness in my life. i.e. If He delivered me (Psalm 34:17,19) If He worked my circumstances to good (Romans 8:28) If He provided for my needs (Philippians 4:19), etc. It's just added encouragement for me to see those promises fulfilled in my life. God bless you richly, Susan!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share. May God bless you richly!